Thursday, May 03, 2012

Chess club

I got an exciting call yesterday from the Chess Club coach.  Both Sydney and Zachary are in the chess club at school.  It was something I heard about, and when I asked the kids if they would like to join, they were both very excited about joining, even though we had never even played chess!  Well, they have been to 3 meetings so far, where they learn to play better.  Don't they say that chess takes an hour to learn and a lifetime to master?  Or something like that - anyways, the kids seemed to pick right up on the game and enjoyed it.  So I got a call yesterday from the Chess Club coach and he called to make the comment that Zachary is a "natural" at chess.  The coach has coached many students for many years, but he has never run across talent like Zachary's as a first grader.  He told us that at our small match coming up that he would be "1st board", which I guess means he's the best player.  Also, he asked me in a very serious tone if we would be interested in "taking it to the next level".  Sounded pretty intense to me!  I'm game, so I asked about it.  He invited Zachary to take place in a K-8 chess championship tournament that is happening this weekend.  I was so super excited (and darn proud!!) to hear this news.  We are going to give it a try and see how he does.  Hopefully it will be a positive experience for him (heck, he could even bring home a trophy!) because from what I have seen at home, he doesn't like to lose.  Fingers crossed!!